University-owned and university-sponsored accommodation

This includes halls of residence or accommodation run by a private company with which the university or college has an agreement. The costs shown are for an academic year and include all compulsory charges. For example, if some rooms are only available on a catered basis then this cost is included.

On Unistats, the costs shown are the 'interquartile range'. These have been calculated by putting the costs of every room available (for a particular university or college) in order from the lowest to the highest; the most expensive costs (the top quarter/top 25%) and the least expensive costs (bottom quarter/bottom 25%) are then ignored and that leaves the interquartile range. This can be loosely thought of as the 'average' or 'middle' range of costs for the accommodation available. This means that the university or college will also have some accommodation that costs more than the figures shown and some accommodation that costs less.

There are several reasons why accommodation may vary in cost. For example, catered accommodation will usually be more expensive than un-catered accommodation and new city centre accommodation might be more expensive than older accommodation further out of town.

Individual universities or colleges may also have more than one teaching campus and these may be in different cities or towns from the main campus address. The costs shown are an average for accommodation costs across all campuses. If the university or college has a campus in an area where the cost of living is significantly higher than the others (e.g. London) then accommodation near that campus may well cost more than the figures shown.

You should always check the website of the university or college to find out where a course you are interested in is taught and what the costs of accommodation might be for that location.

Back to top

Private accommodation

On Unistats, the cost of private accommodation shown is based on information collected by universities and colleges from their own accommodation offices and local letting agents.

Private accommodation includes rooms in shared houses rented through private agencies and landlords. For the majority of private accommodation, the costs shown will only cover the room you rent, so there will be extra costs for utilities such as gas and electricity on top of this.

Variation in tuition fees

The fees shown in the KIS are averages across the duration of a course and therefore are only a guide; the actual fees charged each year may differ from these averages. It is very important to check the actual fees you will be charged at each stage of your course, so you know exactly what you are signing up for. Universities and colleges are required to publish these details, so you should be able to find this information on their websites (it will usually be on a page called 'fees and funding', 'student finance' or something similar) or by contacting them directly.

Back to top

When you start studying

Universities and colleges may charge different fees for courses starting in different years. This means that if you defer entry, the fees you pay may be different from those being charged at the time you accepted your place on the course.

Different years of the course

The fees may vary for different years of the same course - for example, if you take a 'sandwich' year, or if the fees rise in line with inflation.

Additional costs

For some courses, there may be additional costs involved for e.g. study materials, mandatory field trips or specialised equipment, which are not included in your tuition fee. Please see the university or college course page for more information.

Where you study

The tuition fees you are charged may vary according to where you come from and where you go to study (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales). Fees may also vary between individual universities and colleges.

Back to top

If you normally live in England

The fees you pay may be different from those paid by students from other parts of the UK, particularly if you study in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales. This is because the governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland use different systems to fund higher education for their citizens, and universities and colleges in those countries may charge different fees for local people.

If you normally live in England, universities and colleges may charge up to £9,000 per annum for a full-time undergraduate course in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

In England, for undergraduate courses, or postgraduate teacher training courses, universities and colleges may charge up to £9,000 per annum full-time, £6,750 part-time, and £4,500 for sandwich placements or study years abroad.

If they charge more than £6,000 per annum for a full-time course or £4,500 for a part-time course they must have an Access Agreement with the Office for Fair Access, setting out what they will do to help people from lower-income backgrounds, and other under-represented groups, to access and complete higher education courses.

To find out what financial help is available, students who normally live in England should visit Student Finance England.

Back to top

If you normally live in Northern Ireland

You may pay less than students from some other parts of the UK if you study in Northern Ireland.

Full-time undergraduate tuition fees in Northern Ireland can be up to £3,465 per annum for students from Northern Ireland, (excluding any annual GDP increase) but for students from England, Scotland and Wales, fees can be up to £9,000 per annum.

Eligible students from Northern Ireland who wish to study in other parts of the UK will be able to borrow a tuition fee loan up to a maximum of £9,000 per annum (the loan will be the fee charged or £9,000 whichever is the lesser amount).

To find out what financial help is available, students who normally live in Northern Ireland should visit Student Finance Northern Ireland.

Back to top

If you normally live in Scotland

You may pay less than students from some other parts of the UK if you study in Scotland.

Full-time tuition fees for undergraduate, PGDipCE and PGDE courses at Scottish universities and colleges will be up to £9,000 per annum for students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but for students who normally live in Scotland, fees will be lower: £1,820 per annum for all degree-level courses, and £1,285 for higher education courses below degree level (for example HNC, HND, Diploma of HE or Certificate of HE qualifications). Eligible students can apply to have the fee paid on their behalf by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

In the rest of the UK, universities and colleges may be allowed to charge higher fees than in Scotland (up to £9,000 per annum for full-time students at English universities and colleges). Eligible Scottish domiciled students intending to study full-time at a university or college in the rest of the UK can apply for a loan to cover the cost of their tuition fees (up to £9,000 per annum).

To find out what financial help is available, students who normally live in Scotland should visit the Student Awards Agency for Scotland website for more details.

Additional financial support to help with living costs may also be available from your chosen university or college.

Scottish domiciled students wishing to study full-time at the Open University are not eligible for financial support from SAAS. Instead you should contact the Open University directly to learn more about the support available for tuition fees.

Back to top

If you normally live in Wales

Wherever you study, the fees you pay may be different from those paid by students from some other parts of the UK. This is because the Welsh Government will allow Welsh students a maximum fee loan of £3,465 per annum plus a non-means tested tuition fee grant, of up to £5,535 per annum, to account for the balance of the actual fee charged (up to £9,000 per annum) wherever they study in the UK and for EU students planning to study in Wales only.

Full-time undergraduate and PGCE fees in Wales can be up to £9,000 per annum. If a university or college wishes to charge more than £4,000 they must have an acceptable Fee Plan agreed by the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales, outlining their investment in equality of opportunity and how they will enhance the promotion of higher education in Wales.

To find out what financial help is available, students who normally live in Wales should visit Student Finance Wales.

Back to top

Scholarships, bursaries and fee waivers

Many universities and colleges offer some bursaries and/or scholarships to help you with the cost of studying on your course. If you are eligible for a bursary or scholarship your university or college will have rules for how the money is paid to you and what the money can be used for.

While some universities and colleges offer bursaries and/or scholarships as cash payments, others offer all or part of their bursaries in the form of a discounted service (such as discounted accommodation or subsidised entrance to sports facilities). Other universities or colleges offer credit towards books, stationery, printing, art materials, IT products, field trips, and, in some cases, nursery and accommodation costs.

Bursaries and scholarships do not need to be paid back and you can apply for them on top of any student loans and grants that you might claim.

Universities and colleges may reduce their fees for students who meet particular criteria (such as families with low incomes or applicants from particular schools that have links with the university or college). These reductions in fees are often called "fee waivers". To find out if your university or college offers fee waivers and if you are eligible, contact the university or college directly.

If you have a disability or a specific learning difficulty then you may also be eligible for extra help from the government.

For more information see Bursaries, scholarships and awards on Directgov.

Back to top